Welcome to Home of the
EXCELLENCE, PRIDE & TRADITION...THE EAST HALL WAY!
Week in Band – Week 18
DECEMBER 15 –DECEMBER 20, 2014
*As always, please check the band’s calendar at www.ehhsband.com
1. Concert Dresses & Tux Info:
During concert season, as in yours past, ladies and gentlemen are to wear the official tux or dress. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made. If you do not have the official dress or tux – you will not perform; hence, you will not receive credit for that performance. If you have issues with purchasing a dress or tux, please talk with Mr. Cantrell ASAP so that we can make arrangements.
Gentlemen: This year, as in previous years, we are asking that all gentlemen wear an entire tux (with the exception of the gentlemen in the Concert Band and Symphonic Band). Southeastern Performance Apparel is giving us a great deal for our male students. You can purchase the entire tux (pants, shirt, COAT, bow tie, and cummberbund) for $100.00. Concert Band & Symphonic Band gentlemen will need the entire tux MINUS the COAT for $40.00.
Ladies: This year, as in previous years, we are going to order the same style dress. Upper-classmen will be allowed to order a new dress, but are not required to order a new dress. Southeastern Performance Apparel is giving us a great deal for our female students. You can purchase the entire dress for $60.00
Scheduled Payments: To make things easier on everyone, including the Band Parents Association, we are asking for a deposit equal to half of the cost:
Wind Symphony Gentlemen: $50.00; Symphonic Band / Concert Band Gentlemen: $20.00
All Ladies: $30.oo
THIS PAYMENT – ALONG WITH THE SIZING ORDER FORM IS DUE IMMEDIATELY!
The remaining balance will need to be paid on Friday, January 9, 2015. However, if we do not have an sizing order form from you by Friday, December 12 – we will not be ordering a tux/dress for you.
2. After School Rehearsals - Concert:
Wind Symphony rehearsals: We have begun rehearsing every week on Tuesday and Thursday evening (6:30pm-9:00pm) in preparation for our concerts in Savannah and Tuscaloosa. These rehearsal dates are outlined on our band calendar and were in the course syllabus. Please make every effort to attend these rehearsals, as they are part of the student’s overall grade in the Mastery Band course.
Concert Band & Symphonic Band: Please look ahead at the calendar and Upcoming Events section of this letter for rehearsals in preparation for our Pre-Festival Concert and Large Group Performance Evaluation. These are required rehearsals to fulfill the requirements of the course, per syllabus contract. Make sure you have these rehearsals on your calendars!
3. “Sounds of the Season” Christmas Concert Our second formal concert of the year involving all students in our band program will be on Tuesday evening. The concert will take place in the East Hall High School Gymnasium beginning at 6:30pm. Admission is free and we are asking all of our students, parents, and supporters to invite our entire community for this event, which promises to be an excellent event.
Parents are strongly encouraged to attend their child’s performance – its part of being a good parent to your child.
4. Student Accounts: We still have an extremely large number of our students who are severely behind on their Band Dues. We have posted student balances in the Bandroom and have mailed out balances to our families. If you are unsure if you owe, please contact your student account treasurer:
All Last Names A-G - please contact Kathy Jarrard (email@example.com)
All Last Names H-Z - please contact Karen Raper (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Remember, it is the RESPONSIBILITY of EACH family to make sure that their student account is up-to-date. Please make every effort ASAP to arrange payments and bring these account current. Our next step would be to begin canceling performances and trips.
5. Fundraisers: There are three (3) on-going fundraisers currently. The information and forms can be found on our website. Please do your part to help us serve YOUR child in band.
1. East Hall Band Cookbook – As mentioned at the previous Band Association meeting, we are going to develop an East Hall Band Cookbook full of our families’ favorite recipes. We want this book to be full of various goodies from all of our families. Please start bringing in these recipes and turn in to the band office. THANK YOU for those who have already done this…but majority of our membership has not turned in anything!! Please bring in your recipes this week. Please contact Ms. Kelli Harris (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
6. District/All-State Band Auditions: Congratulations to the brave students who represented our band program this past weekend at the 1st round of All-State Band auditions. Scores have been posted and you can check with Mr. Cantrell for results. As far as District Band placements, we have not received results on placement yet.
7. Facebook & Twitter: Please follow us on Facebook (East Hall Viking Marching Band) and Twitter (EHHS_VikingBand) so that you can get instant updates. There are several features and photos of the band – please feel free to pass along to your family and friends.
8. Remind101: is a communications tool for the band directors to pass along details and updates of any changes to the band schedule or activities. We also use this to send reminders to help keep everyone informed. It’s a free text service and is very easy to sign up for. Parents and student should both register with REMIND101. Directions and codes are on the website at (www.ehhsband.com>”Resources”>”Remind101 Info”).
9. Upcoming Events:
8 Concert Band Afterschool Rehearsal (2:45pm-5:00pm)
9 Symphonic Band Afterschool Rehearsal (4:00pm-6:00pm)
9 Middle School Band Concert (7:00pm)
11 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
13 District Honor Band Auditions: Habersham Central HS – auditions times TBA
16 Christmas Band Concert – All Band-All students. 6:30pm
18 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
22-Jan.5 Christmas Holidays
6 Students Return Back to School.
7 Wind Symphony Percussion (3:45pm-5:30pm)
8 WS: All Woodwinds (3:45pm-5:30pm); WS: All Brass (6:30pm-9:00pm)
12 WS: Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets (3:45pm-5:30pm)
12 WS: Low Reeds/Low Brass (6:30pm-9:00pm)
13 WS: Horns/Saxes (3:45pm-5:30pm)
13 WS: Trumpets (6:30pm-9:00pm)
14 Symphonic Band Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets (3:45pm-5:30pm)
15 Wind Symphony Full Rehearsal (6:00pm-9:00pm)
16-17 Wind Symphony Performance Clinic (See Schedule)
19 MLK Holiday – No classes
20 Wind Symphony Full Rehearsal (6:00pm-9:00pm)
21 Concert Band Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets (3:45pm-5:30pm)
22 Wind Symphony Full Rehearsal (6:00pm-9:00pm)
26 Wind Symphony Full Rehearsal (6:00pm-9:00pm)
27 Wind Symphony Full Rehearsal (6:00pm-9:00pm)
29 GMEA Trip – Wind Symphony Only: depart EHHS after lunch
30 GMEA Performance – arrive back at EHHS TBA.
5 Wind Symphony Full Rehearsal (6:00pm-9:00pm)
6 Tuscaloosa Trip – Wind Symphony Only: depart EHHS after lunch.
7 Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Performance – arrive back at EHHS TBA
12-14 GMEA District 14 Honor band Clinic at Riverside Military Academy (selected students)
19-20 Band Performance Clinics (Concert & Symphonic Band) TBA
21 PRE-FESTIVAL CONCERT @ BANKS CO. HS (ALL STUDENTS)
The East Hall High School Band
One of the most well known high school bands in the country and steeped in rich tradition, the East Hall Viking Bands, under the direction of J. Craig Cantrell, have established a tradition of excellence and have been consistent in quality performances given and entertainment value.
Mission Statement (as outlined by our band student leadership team):
"The mission of the East Hall High School Band Program is to make a positive difference in the lives of the band members by providing musical and visual experiences and performances, and to assist them in achieving their potential as they develop confidence, cooperation, leadership, responsibility and high standards of excellence and character."
East Hall High School is located just outside Gainesville, Georgia, in northeastern Hall County, about 60 miles just northeast of Atlanta. East Hall is set in a rural area where many families are blue collar workers, representing almost entirely middle class families. Hall County, Georgia, is commonly known as the poultry capital of the world. Nevertheless, the students, parents, faculty, and administration of East Hall High School are striving continuously to have an outstanding educational program.
East Hall High School is the smallest of seven high schools in Hall County with approximately 961 students in grades 9-12. However, being the smallest of the high schools has not been a disadvantage as the East Hall High School Band has been the standard bearer for high school bands of Hall County. Averaging nearly 20% participation of the student body in the band program, the East Hall High School Band has won innumerable superior ratings and has performed in some of the nation’s most prestigious events.
The East Hall High Viking Marching Band has routinely received superior ratings in marching festivals and competitions. On two different occasions the band has won 1st place in the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. In 2007, the Viking Band won "Best In Class" in the Cotton Bowl Parade in Dallas, Texas. Most recently, the Viking Marching Band swept the "Open Class" competition at the 2013
The marching band is divided into three concert organizations and all are entered in concert festival (LGPE) each year sponsored by the Georgia Music Educators Association. Since 1971, the East Hall Bands have made 71 superior ratings and 9 excellent ratings in concert performance evaluations (festival). Additionally, the East Hall Bands have performed at such prestigious events such as the the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Annual Conference, the University of Georgia's January Music Festival (2011), the Southeastern United States Band Clinic (SEUS) at Troy State University in Troy, Alabama (2012), and the Kennesaw State University Concert Invitational (2014). The Wind Symphony will be performing this year at the Georgia Music Educators Association's In-Service Conference in Savannah, GA and the University of Alabama Honor Band Festival.
Tweets by @EHHS_VikingBand
EAST HALL VIKING BAND
J. Craig Cantrell, Director of Bands
3534 East Hall Road Gainesville, GA 30507