Welcome to Home of the
EXCELLENCE, PRIDE & TRADITION...THE EAST HALL WAY!
This Week in Band – Week 11
OCTOBER 20 – OCTOBER 25, 2014
*As always, please check the band’s calendar at www.ehhsband.com
1. FRUIT SALE ORDERS ARE DUE IMMEDIATELY: Our annual Fruit Sale fundraiser is now complete. Please turn in all orders and money to the band safe located in Mr. Cantrell’s office. We should have the fruit delivered to EHHS during the week of November 17-21. We will be announcing the exact date and time as soon as we have confirmation.
2. Band Pictures: Our annual band pictures have been scheduled for Tuesday, October 28th – next week. All students are required to participate in the full band group shot, which will take place right after school on Tuesday at 4:00pm. Following the full band photo, we will have smaller group shots for each section of the marching band (Colorguard, Drumline, Brass, Woodwinds, Seniors, Majorettes, Leadership, etc.). Following the group shots, we will be taking individual photos of students who wish to have them. There is an order form attached to this email and the form can also be picked up in the Bandroom. NOTE: Students must sign up for a time for individual photos (again, these photos will begin AFTER the group photos on the field are complete. Please be ready and bring your instrument. Please contact Mr. Cantrell if you have any questions regarding band photos.
3. A Note from Mr. Cantrell: When I teach our students, I obviously want them to learn about music, but I also want them to learn about life. Many lessons that we learn in band are related to working together, setting goals, persistence, skill development, and a host of other valuable characteristics.
4. After School Rehearsals:
5. Student Accounts: We still have an extremely large number of our students who are severely behind on their Band Dues. We have posted student balances in the Bandroom and have mailed out balances to our families. If you are unsure if you owe, please contact your student account treasurer:
All Last Names A-G - please contact Kathy Jarrard (firstname.lastname@example.org)
All Last Names H-Z - please contact Karen Raper (email@example.com)
Remember, it is the RESPONSIBILITY of EACH family to make sure that their student account is up-to-date. Please make every effort ASAP to arrange payments and bring these account current. Our next step would be to begin canceling performances and trips.
6. Concession Stands: Our next Home Game is this Friday, October 25th – which will be “Sophomore Concessions Stand Work Night.” Below is the schedule for the season. We need all parents to help with the concessions this year on your assigned night. We need all parents to help with the concessions this year on your assigned night. Your help is very much appreciated.
Fri. Oct. 24 (Franklin Co. vs. EH) All Sophomore (10th grade) Parents
Fri. Nov. 7 (Banks Co. vs. EH) All Alumni, 9th grade, 10th grade, and 11th grade Parents
7. Fundraisers: There are three (3) on-going fundraisers currently. The information and forms can be found on our website. Please do your part to help us serve YOUR child in band.
1. Community Sponsorship – one of the easiest fundraisers where students receive 50% of the profit, the Community Sponsorship Program is a partnership with local retailers and venders to advertise in our community at various levels using the band as a vehicle. All information is posted on our website (www.ehhsband.com>”Fundraisers”>”Community Sponsorship Program). Please contact Mr. Stan Hunt if you have any questions.
2. Discount Cards – our annual Community Discount Cards Fundraiser is in full swing, where we sell discount cards that give our supports discounts for merchandise at various retailers and venders in our community. All cards must be purchased in advanced. Please contact Tammy Smith if you have any questions.
3. East Hall Band Cookbook – As mentioned at the previous Band Association meeting, we are going to develop an East Hall Band Cookbook full of our families’ favorite recipes. We want this book to be full of various goodies from all of our families. Please start bringing in these recipes and turn in to the band office. THANK YOU for those who have already done this…but majority of our membership has not turned in anything!! Please bring in your recipes this week. Please contact Ms. Kelli Harris if you have any questions.
8. District/All-State Band Auditions: We have 34 students auditioning this year, which is lower than usual. These sorts of activities only make our band program stronger as each student becomes stronger musicians. In previous years, we’ve had 50-60 students auditioning. Remember, this year’s audition materials (both scales and etudes are on-line at www.gmea.org<Band Division<All-State Band. There are some scheduled help sessions for these students who wish to audition. Please take advantage of these sessions. Please see Mr. Cantrell if you have questions.
9. Facebook & Twitter: Please follow us on Facebook (East Hall Viking Marching Band) and Twitter (EHHS_VikingBand) so that you can get instant updates. There are several features and photos of the band – please feel free to pass along to your family and friends.
10.Remind101: is a communications tool for the band directors to pass along details and updates of any changes to the band schedule or activities. We also use this to send reminders to help keep everyone informed. It’s a free text service and is very easy to sign up for. Parents and student should both register with REMIND101. Directions and codes are on the website at (www.ehhsband.com>”Resources”>”Remind101 Info”).
21 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
23 Marching Band Rehearsal (4:00pm-6:00pm)
24 HOME FOOTBALL GAME (vs. Franklin Co.) Sophomore Concessions Night
28 BAND PHOTOS (4:00pm-6:00pm)
28 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
30 Marching Band Rehearsal (4:00pm-6:00pm)
31 AWAY FOOTBALL GAME (@Fannin Co.)
3-4 HALL CO. HONOR BAND – selected students (see Handout for schedule)
5 Piedmont Partnership Rehearsal – selected students (6:00pm-8:00pm) Piedmont College
6 Marching Band Rehearsal (4:00pm-6:00pm)
6 Senior Activity following Band Rehearsal (6:30pm) EHHS Stadium
7 HOME FOOTBALL GAME (vs. Banks Co.) “Senior Night”
11 VETERANS DAY CONCERT – 7:00PM EHHS GYM
12 Piedmont Partnership Rehearsal – selected students (6:00pm-8:00pm) Piedmont College
13 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
17-21 FRUIT ORDERS ARRIVE – TBA
18 Piedmont Partnership Concert – 6pm Call
20 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
24-28 THANKSGIVING HOLIDAYS (No Rehearsals Scheduled – Have a great week with family!)
2 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
8 Concert Band Afterschool Rehearsal (2:45pm-5:00pm)
9 Symphonic Band Afterschool Rehearsal (4:00pm-6:00pm)
9 Middle School Band Concert (7:00pm)
11 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
13 District Honor Band Auditions: Habersham Central HS – auditions times TBA
16 Christmas Band Concert – All Band-All students. 6:30pm
18 Wind Symphony Rehearsal (6:30pm-9:00pm)
The East Hall High School Band
One of the most well known high school bands in the country and steeped in rich tradition, the East Hall Viking Bands, under the direction of J. Craig Cantrell, have established a tradition of excellence and have been consistent in quality performances given and entertainment value.
Mission Statement (as outlined by our band student leadership team):
"The mission of the East Hall High School Band Program is to make a positive difference in the lives of the band members by providing musical and visual experiences and performances, and to assist them in achieving their potential as they develop confidence, cooperation, leadership, responsibility and high standards of excellence and character."
East Hall High School is located just outside Gainesville, Georgia, in northeastern Hall County, about 60 miles just northeast of Atlanta. East Hall is set in a rural area where many families are blue collar workers, representing almost entirely middle class families. Hall County, Georgia, is commonly known as the poultry capital of the world. Nevertheless, the students, parents, faculty, and administration of East Hall High School are striving continuously to have an outstanding educational program.
East Hall High School is the smallest of seven high schools in Hall County with approximately 961 students in grades 9-12. However, being the smallest of the high schools has not been a disadvantage as the East Hall High School Band has been the standard bearer for high school bands of Hall County. Averaging nearly 20% participation of the student body in the band program, the East Hall High School Band has won innumerable superior ratings and has performed in some of the nation’s most prestigious events.
The East Hall High Viking Marching Band has routinely received superior ratings in marching festivals and competitions. On two different occasions the band has won 1st place in the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. In 2007, the Viking Band won "Best In Class" in the Cotton Bowl Parade in Dallas, Texas. Most recently, the Viking Marching Band swept the "Open Class" competition at the 2013
The marching band is divided into three concert organizations and all are entered in concert festival (LGPE) each year sponsored by the Georgia Music Educators Association. Since 1971, the East Hall Bands have made 71 superior ratings and 9 excellent ratings in concert performance evaluations (festival). Additionally, the East Hall Bands have performed at such prestigious events such as the the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Annual Conference, the University of Georgia's January Music Festival (2011), the Southeastern United States Band Clinic (SEUS) at Troy State University in Troy, Alabama (2012), and the Kennesaw State University Concert Invitational (2014). The Wind Symphony will be performing this year at the Georgia Music Educators Association's In-Service Conference in Savannah, GA and the University of Alabama Honor Band Festival.
Tweets by @EHHS_VikingBand
EAST HALL VIKING BAND
J. Craig Cantrell, Director of Bands
3534 East Hall Road Gainesville, GA 30507